Throw-back.

Do you remember way-back-when, 4th grade for me, when sponge rollers were cool? Oh shoot... you don't?

Well, let me entertain you. Sponge rollers are those little squishy rollers that you use if you are 1) old or 2) a cheerleader. I think it's safe for you to assume I used them because I was a cheerleader... since clearly I'm young, vibrant and wrinkle-free. Clearly.

When I was in my elementary and middle school years, our family lived in Oklahoma. My sister and I were part of Twist & Shout, an amazing competitive cheerleading gym. The night before competitions, we were required to slick our hair into ponytails on the top of our head. We then had to sponge roll the ponytail hair into the tightest, littlest curls. We slept in our curlers overnight and took them out when we got to the competition the next morning. We were all adorable with our matching little bouncy Shirley Temple ponytails and cheer uniforms. Ahh... those were the days.

In fact, I still own my sponge rollers from 4th grade. What's even worse than that is that I was going to use them last night... until I came to my senses and popped into Sally Beauty on the way home. I bought a couple sets of extra large sponge rollers (I did NOT want teeny tiny Shirley Temple curls this time) and went on my merry way home to wash my hair.

While my hair was still pretty damp, I rolled it into the twelve rollers. I did four down the middle of my head and 4 on each side.


After I finished, I wrapped my head in a silk scarf to keep them in place overnight and went to sleep. Surprisingly (I think because I bought the extra large ones), they did not bother me while I slept. In fact, they were kind of kooshy. It was like I had a bunch of mini pillows all over my head. OK- maybe it wasn't that nice, but it wasn't bad at all.

This morning, I woke up and got ready. Each of the curlers held very well. I took them out in the car on the way to work (driving safely, of course!) and ran my fingers through my hair to finish the look.


Um... success!!! Since there was no heat involved, the curls held really well and hardly fell out at all.

Sheesh... I know it's only been 9 days that I have been doing this 365-day project... but if I can sponge roll and braid my hair... I'm goooooood.