Three. Six. Five.

Oh boy. My 365-day project begins in a mere 4 hours. Scary. It's kind of embarrassing, but I really do put love, sweat and tears into doing my hair every day. Ok, maybe not tears, but definitely love and sweat. When I travel, I could leave behind everything and I would be OK, as long as I had my hairspray, teasing comb and blow dryer. It's not like I have fabulous hair or anything like that, either. I just usually try really hard to make it look nice. That being said, I'm so nervous that it just will not do anything without being teased or hair sprayed to death. I guess we will see what happens.

Today, as a means to kick-off this little challenge, I collected all of my hair products and piled them in a box.


I took the box with me to work and let my coworkers help themselves to my collection. It may not seem like a lot, but that box has everything a person with long, short, curly, straight, or processed hair may need. My personal favorite, Lamaur Sprayage II (the one in the paint-splattered can), is the hairspray that I have been using since I learned to do my hair. That stuff is awesome. I can spray on a whole can and my hair will still have bounce and be soft to the touch without moving an inch. I don't know how I'm going to live without it. Another favorite in the box is in a little gray bottle with a white cap. It is Living Proof's Full Thickening Cream. Wow. That stuff gives crazy-intense body with just the tiniest application.

On a regular basis I don't use too much product... but I figured it was best if I just got that stuff OUT of the house. I also plan on taking my blow dryer, straightener and curling iron and putting them in a place that will be out of reach and very inconvenient to access for the next year.

In addition to getting rid of my beloved styling products, I also thought it was appropriate to initiate BBB with a trim. I called up my good friend Lindsey, who I cheered with in college, and asked her if she would do the honors. She was much obliged, so today I went and visited her in her salon. We went for the basic trim and style.


I felt obligated to take the whole "wet hair parted down the middle" photo. It's by far my most unattractive look, therefore, I thought you might enjoy it. After Lindsey washed my hair, thoroughly gave me the best scrub and head massage EVER, and then trimmed my hair, we measured it to give a baseline number to track my hair growth. My hair, from the top of my scalp to the bottom layer going down my back, measures 16.5 inches. It also currently has 2.5 inches of grow out. Not bad for a starting point!


After she took my measurements, she asked how I wanted it styled. My first reaction was "big and curled!" since I won't be able to do that again for the whole next year. See, my hair is very straight and has absolutely no body what-so-ever... so I wanted my last big BANG to be, well, a bang.



Wow-- After 4 months of not doing my hair (I haven't had it done since late May), the color still looks pretty good! I wonder how long that will last...

Just in case any of you in the Boise/Meridian area are wondering... Lindsey works at Grand Illusion Salon in Meridian. The salon's phone number is (208) 888-7966 and I recommend her wholeheartedly. She is a sweetheart and knows how to make your hair look bomb-dot-com good.

As for my last "big hair" day... I really enjoyed it. I am loving this curl that Lindsey gave me, and I'm fairly sure it will last me through tomorrow. Wednesday, though, I'm out of luck. As I head home this evening, I have to store away all of my styling tools, like my blow dryer and straightener. I also have absolutely no hair products in the house right now besides for shampoo, conditioner, and a leave-in conditioner. It feels slightly weird (I really am addicted to hairspray, I think). I can't wait to see where this project goes when it takes off. Or if it will even get off the ground at all...