Bantu Knot-Out.

Ban-a-what? Don't worry, I didn't know what Bantu knots were, either. One of my natural hair buddies on Twitter checked out my blog and suggested I try Bantu knots for a fun and different style. I had to Google search them and even had to watch a YouTube tutorial to see what these were and how to do them.

As soon as I figured them out, I decided I was going to opt for a "Bantu knot-out." That is where you put your hair in Bantu knots, but then take them out for luscious, spiraled curls. Well, that's the intention anyway. I just couldn't resist this style! I went straight to work after I got out of the shower last night. It is recommended to do Bantu's on your hair when it is wet or slightly damp to help the knots stay in, and to also help your hair hold the curl. I added a leave-in conditioner as well to hopefully help preserve the knots.

About an hour and a full box of bobby pins later (since my hair is so fine it did not want to stay in these knots), I ended up with this look:


Yep. Sexxxayyy.


Within 10 minutes of having my knots completed, I was told that I would look good as a bald person and that I also looked like Buckwheat from Little Rascals. Awesome.


O-TAY!!! I guess that's at least more realistic than saying that I look like Bo Derek.

Before I went to bed, I sprayed the knots with water since they were starting to fall out. I then wrapped my hair with a silk scarf so my tossing and turning during the night wouldn't disrupt those little babies. And guess what? I even took a photo. Just for you... because once again, it's just such an attractive look for me.

Duck face.

This morning when I woke up, each knot was still in place. In fact, I don't even think I moved more than once or twice last night because my hair didn't budge a bit. After I finished getting ready, I removed all my bobby pins and unwound the knots.


Some of my hair was still a little damp (bummer) so I left it like this while I drove to work. I turned the air on high in my car in an effort to help dry the few spirals that were still damp.

When I got to work I ran my hands through the spirals and ended up with a kinked, funky look. I think I know what it feels like to have naturally curly hair now!



Ha! The back is simply dreadful. I was really not too happy with this look because it is just all over the place. I decided to grab a couple trusty bobby pins and secure the hair into bumps on each side of my part to help it look just a little bit more styled. I'm actually quite happy with how the front looks now.


The back is definitely still struggling, though. Sorry for all the photos today... I just couldn't resist the montage.

Overall, Bantu knots are so fun. They are a LOT of work, but they create a totally unique look that I would love to try again to see if I can make it look better. Who knows... maybe next time I'll just opt for Bantu knots (not the knot-out)... and go to work with those little balls all over my head! Wouldn't that impress the boys?! Hmmm... In fact... maybe I will try that. :)