Aunie Hawk.


As you know, my name is Annelise. It is pronounced Ah-nah-lease-ah. Kind of like Monalisa. But not. It's Norwegian, thus the funky pronunciation. If you've been saying it Anna-lease, you're wrong. Or Ahna-lease. Still wrong. Or even Ann-elise. Nope.

AH-NAH-LEASE-AH. This is the only name I go by. No Anna, no Lisa, no Mona. Well... there are a few exceptions. My family calls me Icy, some of my friends from Redlands and former Boise State cheerleaders call me Lise, and my bestie Ashton and a few other awesome people refer to me as Aunie. But other than that... just Annelise.

I have taken a particular liking to one of the previously mentioned nicknames. Aunie. It's cute. It has a unique ring to it. Done.

So I decided that I needed to create a hairstyle, in honor of this blog, just for me. It has to be a go-to style. Something that can be done with second-day or clean hair.

Thus-- the Aunie Hawk was born.

I was in a particular rush to pick my mom up for the Boise State vs. Airforce game this weekend, and I needed to throw my hair into something-- and fast. My hair had lots of volume and hadn't been washed from the day before (remember the Wrap Snap & Go look?). So I grabbed a couple bobby pins, some hair comb clips and a single Wrap Snap & Go curler. A few short minutes later, I ended up with this:




The Aunie Hawk. It can be done to look very elegant and fancy, or it can be a messy updo for a night out on the town.

Here's the how-to for the Aunie Hawk:
  1. Separate your hair into two parts. One will be the upper half, like if you were going to put your hair half-up. The other will be the lower half.
  2. Secure the lower half in a bun at the nape of your neck. It can be curled up in a Wrap Snap & Go, like I did (photo below), twirled into a bun and secured with Spin Pins (which is what I did when I repeated the look on Sunday and it was SO MUCH easier), or just tied in a bun with a ponytail holder.
  3. Pin the top front pieces of your hair up in a bump on the top of your head. Pull out pieces to your taste to make it more poofy.
  4. Take the sides of your hair and secure them back with hair comb clips. The clips should be inserted toward your face, to make sure they stay in place.
  5. With the "hawk" hair left over in back, tousle it to achieve the look you desire. Since I couldn't use hairspray to keep the style in place, I inserted bobby pins in a couple of locations to make sure the curls stayed secure.
And that's it for the Aunie Hawk! It's so easy, quick, and really fun. You don't have to secure the bottom half of your hair in a bun under the top layers of hair... but I like the "updo" feel of it when the bottom half is pulled up.

What do you think of the Aunie Hawk? Is it lame or could you rock it?

You know I rocked it with my mom at the Boise State game. Go BRONCOS!!!