Chignon Chic.

This past weekend I went out to purchase clear hair bands just so I could try a fun old-school look. I had it all planned out in my head. See, I was on a one-day vacation up in the mountains... and I knew I had plenty of time to experiment, so I couldn't wait to try the milkmaid braid. It's so fun, classy, and totally unexpected. Oh, and it was on The Beauty Department. So it has to be cool, right?

The only problem? My hair is way too short. When I braided it and tried to wrap it around my head, it ended up looking like a Greek god's ivy halo. It just did NOT work. Bummer, right? I guess I will just have to wait a few more months before I can try that one again.

Out of desperation for something simple, I instead concluded I would try the waterfall braid. It was so simple and worked out really well. Until I got stuck walking through the rain. Figures. Sunday just was not my day for hair.

I'm not sure if I've told you this, but I have very limp, body-less, dreary hair. You know how when some people get stuck in the rain their hair frizzes all up and turns into a crazy mess? Mine does exactly the opposite. It basically hangs on my head like grandpa's 10-year old toupee. Gross.

I had to fix myself up quickly because I was preparing to go out to dinner. I kept the waterfall braid in, out of desperation, but still wanted something just a bit more stylish. I started by twisting the pieces of hair beside my ears back and securing them with a clear hair band at the back of my head, like this style. Then, I twisted individual sections of my hair and tucked them over and under my makeshift hair headband. I added a few bobby pins to keep it secure and BAM... I was finished.



This look is apparently called a chignon (sheen-yon), and it's the first time I have ever tried it. Needless to say... it's chic, classy, and super easy. I will probably be doing these quite often... I'm in love!!

P.S... I have officially made it one whole week! Only 51 more to go :)