Sock Bun.

Yes. I did it. I curled my hair with a sock.

If you're not familiar with this method, you're probably thinking, "What the heck is she talking about?"

Well, it's quite simple, actually. In fact, there's a whole YouTube tutorial by a really cute girl who will teach you how to do it. Oh, and bonus... she has an adorable accent and it sounds like she calls it a "sook bun." It's so precious.

Basically, you just perform the following steps:
  1. Grab a regular old tube sock. I used an old single sock that had been stashed away in a drawer.
  2. Cut off the toe portion of the sock.
  3. Roll the sock into itself so it forms a donut.
  4. Put your DRY (or only very slightly damp) hair in a ponytail right on the top of your head.
  5. Put your ponytail through the sock donut.
  6. Pull the sock donut to the tips of your ponytail, and just as you rolled the sock into the donut, proceed to roll your hair into the sock by just rolling and scrunching the sock into itself.
  7. Voila. Sock bun.

It was super-de-duper easy to do. The only problem is that my shoulder-length hair wasn't quite long enough so the back pieces kept falling out of the ponytail. Also, the top part of my hair that was rolled in the sock was falling out, too. To fix that, I simply wrapped the sock bun in a silk scarf so I could sleep soundly and not worry about my hair unraveling all night.


Attractive, I know. If nothing great happens to you today, at least you know that you look better than I did last night. I will allow you to mock me at my expense. Go ahead.

This morning when I woke up, the scarf and sock were still in place. Just a couple more chunks of hair had fallen down the back of my neck, but that was no big deal. I unravelled the sock and was left with this:


Not too bad, but definitely not as great as the girl in the YouTube video. Bummer. I think I will try a different sock next time. Also, I think my hair will do much better when it is longer.

To make up for my drooping, falling out waves (which was pretty much just straight hair with a flip on the end), I added a fun headband that I bought at Burlington Coat Factory for $3.99 yesterday (um... steal!).


Burlington has so many hidden treasures. They are just wonderful. In fact... what do you think of my fun outfit? The top, socks and headband are all from Burlington, and cost me less than $20. Bada-boom-bada-bang.


Think you'll give the sock bun a go? My waves really fell out throughout the day, but it still gave my tresses a nice amount of volume to work with. If I ever want my hair to have a slight flip at the ends, I will definitely opt to sleep in the sock bun the night before. It is just so easy!

So, yes. I curled my hair with a sock. You can bet your buns it's one more trick of the trade I am adding to my hairstyle arsenal.